Egg Hunt

on April 24, 2011 in Fantasy

“How’d the card-hunting go?” I asked when she returned.

“Terrible!” she said.

“Oh?” I said.

“You know, none of the stores I went to had very many religious cards to begin with, and those they did have were mostly generic and vague references to ‘blessings’… few of them had so much as a direct reference to Christ, much less the nature of His sacrifice and resurrection. You know, every Christmas we have all those campaigns about how Jesus is the reason for the season. How does Easter get overlooked? Easter is the reason for Jesus. This is just one more example of the damage done by the creeping secularism of our increasingly liberal society.”

“Are you or are you not looking for a card that says ‘He is risen!’ so you can put the spooky sound chip from a Halloween card in it and draw a crayon picture of Zombie Jesus on the inside?” I asked her.

“Creeping secularism!” she said.

6 Responses to “Egg Hunt”

1. Null Set says:

The “She and I” conversations are always my favorite.

2. N. says:

This gave me a fit. 😀

3. Brenda says:

I’m totally picturing various characters from Something*Positive having this conversation…

4. Ducky says:

I see this more as influenced by Cyanide and Happiness than S*P. The S*P characters grew out of this a few years ago.

5. AE says:

Eh. I can’t say it’s “influenced by” Cyanide & Happiness. It’s “similar to”, in the sense that there’s a Zombie Jesus reference and someone acting in a way that others might find shocking and reprehensible, but it’s not the same reprehensibility.

The biggest comic influence I’d name as the author of the piece and model for the characters is Calvin & Hobbes, because it features someone invoking serious theological and philosophical concepts in order to express moral outrage that really comes down to having a bit of childish fun thwarted by circumstances while another character who may or may not be a reflection of a more reflective part of the outraged character’s psyche points out the hypocrisy.

Given that it’s based on a true story, though, looking too hard for influences might be a mistake.

6. carson says:

I pictured Calvin & Hobbes having this conversation. Knowing that it’s based on a Drama in Real Life I like it that much more.